Dan Misener likes the radio

Among other things, Dan is a public radio producer.

Thursday, May 26, 2005

When a Career Move Comes at Too High a Cost

About two weeks ago now, I moved from Toronto, Ontario to Windsor, Ontario, for a job at the CBC. Before I decided to take the contract, I asked friends, family, and profs for their opinions. I didn't know much about Windsor, and didn't know if I'd fit in. I still don't, really. A friend passed along Adelle Waldman's excellent article called "When a Career Move Comes at Too High a Cost." It's about Adelle's first job out of journalism school, how she moved from New York to Cleveland, and how she blew it. She reflects on what she did wrong, and explains what she could have done differently. It's well worth the read.

3 Comments:

  • At 5/30/2005 02:40:00 PM, Blogger Carmody Wilson said…

    Yeah but she says at the end that things turned out all right...and if they're publishing her articles, obviously what she did DIDN'T come at too high a cost. Bah!

     
  • At 6/03/2005 05:09:00 PM, Blogger Mano said…

    Windsor will grow on you eventually. I've been here for 4 years now and I think it's not as bad as people make it out to be. If anything, you should be able to make great friends. That's one thing everyone agrees on about Windsor :)

     
  • At 6/09/2005 07:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I lived in Windsor for over 8 years. It will be a big switch from Toronto, but there are a lot of good people in Windsor. I'm actually thinking about moving back, if that says anything about the city.

    While in Windsor had the opportunity to meet with various folks from the CBC at different times. I've always been impressed with that CBC station, there is a great group of people there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home