Dan Misener likes the radio

Among other things, Dan is a public radio producer.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Feeling lonely

Radio affects most people intimately, person-to-person, offering a world of unspoken communication between writer-speaker and the listener. That is the immediate aspect of radio. A private experience.

- Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media, 1964

When I was in junior high school, towards the end of grade eight, I started to deliver the Halifax Daily News. Every weekday morning, I was up and out the door by six, to have my route done by seven. For my birthday that year, I asked for and got a small radio walkman. I still have it. And I listened to it every morning for the three years I delivered the Daily News. Through the week, the voices of Don Connolly and Elizabeth Logan kept me company. On the streets near my parents' house in Lower Sackville, I fell in love with CBC Radio. Honestly, I can't remember the details of a single interview from those years. But I do remember how listening to Information Morning made me feel. Though I was technically alone delivering papers, it didn't seem that way. At 13, was I that interested in traffic reports? Or city council? I doubt it. But I listened. When I moved to Toronto two years ago, I didn't know anyone here. For the first little while, I spent a lot of time alone, listening to the radio. I sat in my dorm room, listening to countless episodes of This American Life. I listened to Andy Barrie in the mornings; Metro Morning helped shape my ideas about the city. Again, though I was, I didn't feel alone. People sometimes ask me what I love about radio. It's not necessarily about what I'm listening to or working on. I understand that radio has utility -- to inform, to enlighten, to entertain, to stimulate -- but to me, its greatest power, and what I love most about it, is how makes me feel like I've got a friend when I'm all by myself. Lately, for the first time in a while, I've felt lonely when I'm alone. And I don't want to anymore.

2 Comments:

  • At 9/22/2005 09:22:00 AM, Blogger Joe Mahoney said…

    Hey Dan,

    Maybe if you tried some of those sedu hair styles anonymous is going on about you would feel less lonely.

    Good post... we need more posts like it!

    That and more sedu hair styles. Whatever they are.

    Bee

     
  • At 9/24/2005 12:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sedu hair styles are totally overrated.

    you should have a martini party to get rid of that loneliness.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home