Dan Misener likes the radio

Among other things, Dan is a public radio producer.

Friday, September 23, 2005

Some thoughts on my experiences with Toronto Unlocked

This morning, Toronto Unlocked wrapped up its three-week run on CIUT. I had some initial reservations about the program. At the start, no one had convinced me that it was a good idea. I wasn't sure that we (the CMG) weren't shooting ourselves in the foot. Though I didn't buy the "we're scabbing ourselves" argument, I questioned the wisdom of feeding an appetite we were trying to create with our silence. During Toronto Unlocked's first week on the air, I discussed it with a lot of people on the picket line. I solicited opinions from people I respect and admire -- journalists, hosts, and producers. I told them I was thinking about signing up for the show. Some were supportive. Others were dead set against it. Then I decided I was making too big a freaking deal about it. I got over myself, and realized that the show was going to continue whether I was involved or not, and my participation (or lack thereof) wouldn't make a huge difference. So I signed up. And for the second and third weeks, I chase produced for the Wednesday morning shows. It felt good. It felt good to make phone calls. It felt good to get stressed out about guests falling through. It felt good to book people. It felt good to pre-interview. It felt good to be back in a campus/community radio environment. It felt good to work on a story, then wake up the next morning and hear it on the radio. Ultimately, my reasons for participating were selfish. I miss working, and Toronto Unlocked let me work. I wanted to reconnect with my CBC colleagues. I wanted to meet new people. I wanted people to know I'm back in Toronto and keen to work. And if I had to do it over again, I would.

2 Comments:

  • At 9/26/2005 12:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Dan,

    I, for one, am glad you signed up to work on Toronto Unlocked. Glad I had a (brief) chance to work with you. See you on the picket line.

    Ing

     
  • At 9/27/2005 10:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I worked for it a little bit on the tech end and concur with what you said. I doubted the concept but enjoyed working again. However, I felt all the work stresses coming back too, so decided not to continue. This lockout is a nice break from it all.

    Actually what I would enjoy doing is explore the jobs others do. Unfortunately within the CBC, when you are good at your job, they don't let you do anything else. ;-) On the CMG page I saw some are giving primers on their specialties....what a great idea! Using the "down time" to learn other sides of broadcasting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home