Dan Misener likes the radio

Among other things, Dan is a public radio producer.

Monday, October 03, 2005

I have no job to go back to

Now that a deal has been reached, it'll soon be time for me to actually find a job at the CBC. Here's why: My contract at CBC Windsor was up on September 4. The week before management locked us out, my managing editor offered me "a couple more months of work." Not a job job, but work. Unfortunately, the offer was too late. It was midway through August, and I had no indication that I'd be asked to stay on. So I'd already made arrangements to move back to Toronto. Then, of course, we got locked out. I picketed in Windsor for a week, then for a week in Toronto. Then I went back to Windsor for a weekend, during which I packed up and left. Jenna and I packed up all of my things in the back of a rented Corsica, and headed north. I settled back into The Penthouse with my roommates Tristan and Phil. And the lockout continued on. The lockout continued beyond the end of my contract. So I picketed beyond the end of my contract. I told myself I could do this with a clear conscience because if we hadn't been locked out, I'd have continued on in Windsor. I stayed up late. I slept in. I picketed. I worked on Toronto Unlocked. In many ways, it was a bit like a vacation. I got to visit picket lines in four Canadian cities. I met some fantastic people (including several of my radio heroes) on the line. I collected my cheques, and smiled. Then, on September 6th, I received an email from Windsor, asking if I planned to return after the lockout to take my managing editor up on her offer. I said no. Why? I'd moved my things to Toronto. I was on the hook for rent in Toronto. I had nowhere to live in Windsor. I had started to fall for a girl in Toronto. And now, a deal. Once we go through the ratification process, and figure out how to get back to work, I'll actually be looking for work. I have no job to go back to. I'm hoping there might be CBL casual pool stuff for me. I'll continue to pitch and sell freelance pieces. Hell, maybe if I get lucky, there'll be a contract for me. Who knows? The next little while will be fun, or scary, or exciting, or sad. Probably a little bit of all of the above. We'll see.

2 Comments:

  • At 10/03/2005 12:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Dan. My contract is also expired (Sept 18 was my date).

    I wish you luck and good karma and some keen negotiating skills for any freelance work they ask you to do this fall. At least in Regina, the money appears to go a bit further than it would in Taranna.

    I hope you get the girl.

     
  • At 10/04/2005 09:11:00 PM, Blogger Dan Misener said…

    Thanks.

    I did.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home